In an office setting apparently there is a [unspoken] golden rule; religion and politics are off limits. Well, how does one share? How do you witness with this hidden rule? How does one give others things to think about without speaking about the two?
In a recent conversation an individual made the statement that indirectly stated racism is dead. Ha! Really? Where do you live? How could you come to this conclusion in your measly 24 years of living in California? Are you sheltered, blind or just outright oblivious?
So you need proof? Heard of Trayvon Martin? On February 26, 2012, 17-year-old [African-American] Trayvon Martin was shot and killed in Sanford, Florida. The shooter was George Zimmerman, a 28-year-old white man. Zimmerman admits killing Trayvon, but claims he was acting in self-defense. Three weeks after Martin’s death, no arrests have been made and Zimmerman remains free.
Now I know the skeptic would be quick to ask, “Why does everything have to be race issue?” Everything isn’t but I would like to someone to explain how this situation is NOT about race. Here are some facts:
- Trayvon weighed 140 pounds. Zimmerman weighs 250 pounds –self defense really?
- Zimmerman called the police to report Trayvon’s “suspicious” behavior, which he described as “just walking around looking about.” He said “: “There’s a real suspicious guy. This guy looks like he’s up to no good, on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around looking about… These a**holes always get away” [Orlando Sentinel] How is “looking about” suspicious?
- Zimmerman followed Trayvon after the police told him not to- Sir? Sit down!
- In a cell phone call just moments before his death, Trayvon told a girl that he was “hounded by a strange man on a cell phone who ran after him, cornered him and confronted him.”
- Zimmerman was carrying a 9 millimeter. Trayvon was carrying a bag of Skittles and a can of iced tea
- Trayvon weighed 140 pounds. Zimmerman weighs 250 pounds. [Orlando Sentinel; WDBO
- Three witnesses say they heard a boy cry for help before a shot was fired. The police later “corrected” a witness saying that it was actually Zimmerman that was crying for help. Really? A grown man sounds like a boy crying for help?
- Trayon had no criminal record
- Zimmerman called the police 46 times since Jan. 1, 2011. [Miami Herald] and “was charged in July 2005 with resisting arrest with violence and battery on an officer. The charges appear to have been dropped.” [Huffington Post]
I could probably go on but I think the point has been made. What frustrates me the most is the ignorance of people like the individual who thinks racism is dead. This crime is disgusting, heartbreaking and uncivilized. The young man deserved to live a full life and because he looks “suspicious” aka black he was murdered. 17 years old, SEVENTEEN!
So tell me why we are not supposed to have these sorts of conversations? How come we can’t educate the ignorant and what plagues different ethnicities (non black) in this society? Why must these things remain covered up? Will justice ever be served and served properly if we keep quiet?
Trayvon Martin’s case is nothing new. It saddens me to say that these types of things happen all the time and I can’t help but wonder if Trayvon Martin, Troy Davis, Oscar Grant, Mitrice Richardson or Brian Banks weren’t African American would justice be served any different.
It’s time to stop sweeping stuff under the rug and allowing innocent people’s lives to be dramatically affected by the unfairness of our judicial systems, court systems, and policing systems. I am so sick of it. I am literally sick.
Here is how you can demand justice for Trayvon: